Sunday, January 4, 2009

Winter day at the beach


These sketches are of a beautiful winter day we spent at a beach near Half Moon Bay, California. We packed a few sandwiches, hopped around the tide pools and then hiked to the beach seen here. While I sketched the scenery, my younger daughter buried her twin brother in a deep hole they both dug in the sand with only his head sticking out. I remember having a lot of fun doing that when I was a kid. Anyway, while the kids were playing I made a few sketches and these are of the view to the Northwest. I think the sky turned out nice in the watercolor sketch along with an interesting color for the beach sands. However, I'm having trouble sketching rock textures (lower right) and ocean waves. I have a great book by Jack Hamm called Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes. Unfortunately, I seem to forget a lot of his tips when I'm out in the field. Have a Happy New Year!

No comments: